View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 9:33 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Wrong. It means EVERYTHING to an area that wants investment, corporate growth and connectivity to the outside world. Look, since you like to be so dismissive, chew on this:

Mobile - 21 Daily flights / 575,000 annual passengers

Pensacola - 58 Daily flights / 1.4 million passengers

Why? For two areas that are roughly the same metro populations, clearly something else is at play here.

Montgomery has very crappy service, perhaps even worse than Mobile. Baton Rouge, on the other hand, has service that other areas of similar size would love to have. Apples to oranges.

My point was something I have always wondered about - why do two neighboring metros of very similar size have such wild differences in the quality/quantity of thier respective airports and air service.
It's called beaches. Out of the airports in Pensacola, Mobile and Biloxi, Mobile's is the furthest from the beach if I'm not mistaken, that has a lot to do with it. Plus, there seems to be more tourism in the Biloxi and Pensacola areas. Tourism has A LOT to do with airtraffic. Do you think PC-Bay County International would get much traffic if there were no beaches nearby? Doubtful...

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State