View Single Post
Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:16 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Well, there is no point in coming to Plan Commission. No one can remember the last time they failed to approve every last item on their agenda.

Democracy in action!
I bet you that if we got rid of Aldermanic prerogative, there would be a bigger variety of results and more independence displayed by the Plan Commission. The Commission seems to be set up today as merely a rubber stamp, with the barrier of entry being whether or not Aldermen allow a proposal to be reviewed by the Commission.

How do I know this? Because every damn day in the city of Chicago, non-elected officials in City Hall known as Zoning reviewers and Zoning Supervisors look at hundreds of proposals, do their due diligence, and approve and reject proposals. And they reject a lot of them.

I sometimes don't agree with their conclusions, but damn it at least they try to be fair. They don't ask for campaign contributions or favors and they don't seek retribution or revenge. They don't thump their chests like gorillas. I would have them making all zoning decisions in a heartbeat over the current status quo of it being in the hands of our Aldermanic Thugocracy