View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 17, 2005, 5:20 PM

there are many many problems with the tearing down of this building and the building of the palace. first of all the water table is so high in berlin that actually it may take much more money just to keep the water out. they don't know exactly how the earth will react. plus somehow the berliner dome across the street may be so severely affected that it could fall in on itself. also, they can't get the money to build the old palace and it will cost tons of taxpayers money that frankly germany and berlin don't have to spare.

from my point of view, the building should stay and they should use the structure to create a totally new building. so many people from the east say that they have amazing memories of seeing shows on the (quite up to date) theater stage inside and since the city wants to help the local arts community (especially dance) create new spaces, why not one in the center of the city - especially since the city lacks a world-class dance center which almost every other city in europe has. inside the building the space is quite functional and useable (and immense). i see no reason to destroy so much history in order to replace it with another history that one would rather have.

i say save the palast der republik. there is a last ditch effort happening now to do just that.