View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Excellent photos-- thank you for posting. I took two summer courses at UCI nearly twenty years ago. Since that time, UC Irvine as added a law school (I don't know if this was included in your photos).

Actually, "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes," was filmed at UC Irvine in 1972.

https://ucisca.wordpress.com/2011/01...t-uci-in-1972/
Indeed:
http://www.dourish.com/img/apes/apes13.jpg

I always thought that the original campus buildings looked like giant cheese graters.

UC Irvine, like the city of Irvine itself, suffers by being designed in that 1960s suburban car-oriented era; the campus and the city it's in, cannot be turned into something more urban, short of knocking everything down and starting over. As has already been mentioned, UCI is mainly a commuter campus, and of course those commuters commute by private car.

A number of my friends attended school there. When I was in high school back in the 1980s, it was said pejoratively that UCI stood for the "University of Chinese Immigrants." In the 1990s, going with the Asian theme, I heard it referred to as the "University of Civics and Integras."

Yes, Irvine is very sterile; everything looks like it was built yesterday. When I first visited Irvine to meet up with a friend, I actually got lost because everything looks the same, and there are really no defining landmarks there, at least there weren't 25 years ago or so. I was last there a few years ago, and though now more built up, it still is very sterile and ghost-town like because you don't see people walking; and even though everything is immaculately landscaped, it's still unpleasant walking in Irvine because there's nothing to walk to, and you're walking along major thoroughfares that are like very wide highways with very high speed limits.

~ Charles Bukowski