View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:15 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
ive also seen a stigma around trees. i know for a fact my senile old grandmother poisoned a gorgeous 100+ year old tree in her neighbors yard because she thought it was responsible for flooding her basement or something. then my GF mentioned that some neighbors did the exact same thing to old growth trees that used to be in front of her house 20+ years ago. i can only imagine what these would have looked like today, as only 2 houses down is a still in-tact absolutely enormous and stately American Elm, while we're left with a sun parched lawn. the two trees i went ahead and planted myself on this parkway is my contribution to fixing that wrong, but it would have never happened if i myself didnt shell out 1400 bucks for some well raised nursery trees and labor to put them in (yes i could have waited 3 years for the city to maybe or maybe not put something down but didnt want to wait that long).
I'm from NY and the I suspect the foliage is fairly similar to Chicago and if I remember, elm tree roots were pretty shallow and reeked havoc on sidewalks, basements and foundations so your gran's wrath might have had some merit. My gran bitched about her neighbors' tree heaving up the sidewalk. Plus, Dutch Elm Disease wiped out a lot of elm trees and many trees planted to replacement had much shorter lifespans.