View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
The LRT proposal called for 10 minute service to Barrhaven and 5 minute service as far as Leitrim. This was from opening day. The track from Leitrim to Barrhaven was to be designed so that double tracking could be done at a later date.

Yep, it might cut 5 minutes off the travel time, max. And at what cost? Building an exclusive right of way along Woodroffe and between Lincoln Fields and the end of the Transitway near Westboro is going to be extremely expensive. This will make the Dow's Lake tunnel sound very cheap.
The time you quote was for peak service, which wasn't all day long. Service is 14 minutes off peak. A suburbain train like the O-Train could have offered service at 20 minutes intervall, at a much lower cost. And of course it was designed to be double tracked, it would have been silly not too.

You mean the $600M line in the field? Yes that sounds extremely expensive.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. For me suburban trains are for suburbs. High density places in the core have lousy service, and for once, I would like them to have great service, and acknowledge them that they are doing a great thing for the city. I live in the core, and it takes me longer to get to work, also in the core, than someone who lives in Barrhaven. Is that a sound environmental policy?

Last edited by p_xavier; Oct 30, 2007 at 2:36 PM.