View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Good for Utah, if this passes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I don't have a problem with the rolling stops, but it's the whole "I'm on a bike I'll do whatever the hell I want" attitude that some bikers have that pisses me off. If you want equal access to the road, and respect from the drivers, then play by the same rules. Stop at red lights, use hand signals to change lanes etc.
The "Idaho Stop" is great for bikers, here in Boise where biking is huge, both for commuters and recreationists, it works well, and for the most part motorists have an awareness for bikers so people in cars are used to seeing bikers zipping through intersections (and biking the wrong way on downtown's one way streets but that's another story ) No offense, I used to live in SLC, and would be wary as a biker doing the "Idaho Stop" at many intersections with fear of getting driven over. There is a law here in Boise (Boise Cyling Laws) that a motorist cannot cut a biker off while making a right hand turn or the biker can report the driver by taking their plate number down, and a motorist caught breaking the law can result in a misdemeanor.... is there such a law in Salt Lake or Utah? I guess my point about the Idaho Stop is that both bikers and motorists need to be aware of it or it isn't going to go over well. The Stop is mentioned in the media here often so the general motoring public is aware.