View Single Post
Old Posted May 13, 2008, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMRetrofit View Post
Anyways I can't foresee a modicum of business sense in what you post. From what I can tell, you are not employed downtown and do not know the ins and outs of real business. The MBA community is not negligible in downtown Hamilton. I can't believe people on this thread can tolerate such nonsense being posted without major objections.

Over 9000 people are employed at Canadian headquarters in the Hamilton area.
"Anyways" what? I may not not have a modicum of business sense, but I am not the one throwing out outlandish and unsupported claims:
- you can think of over 100 potential employers of MBA students in downtown Hamilton "right now"
- You believe that 40,000*3% = 1200 MBAs or potential MBAs work in downtown Hamilton

I have no idea what "9000 people employed at Canadian headquarters in the Hamilton area" even means. Where did that number come from? How do you define Canadian headquarters? How big is the "Hamilton area"? Does this group of 9000 people include cleaning staff?

Many top-tier MBAs look for management consulting and investment banking gigs. Such jobs just do not exist in Hamilton (and the DeGroote MBA school doesn't really open doors to those careers). Various strategy, marketing, accounting, other financial services, et cetera, positions may exist and be deemed MBA-type positions, but I imagine that they are few and far between in downtown Hamilton, where much office space is taken up by call centres and places with primarily administrative type of roles.

I don't think the Burlington campus is a great idea either and I agree that it is not a very convenient location because of QEW congestion, but Burlington is still geographically closer to MBA-type employers than is downtown Hamilton. End of story.