View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 2:28 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinaustin View Post
Yup, that would be my guess as well. Losing a car lane to a bus lane in advance of actually putting in rail would probably be a good idea.
Whether or not I'm interpreting it correctly, the corridor plans do allocate a big chunk of money towards re-working the roadway infrastructure-- not entirely sure if that takes it closer to spec for handling rail.
I realize that placing bus only lanes onto any street ultimately makes the street large and wide enough for streetcars and light rail trains. But it doesn't make the infrastructure under the street streetcar or light rail friendly. What does is placing very expensive cathodic protection on all the pipes and wires under the street. It's installing the cathodic protection on brand new pipes that causes most of the construction activities under the streets before laying rail in the streets. So whatever that is being done to make the bus only lanes isn't going to prepare the street for rail. It will eventually have to be torn up again to install cathodic protection for any new electric powered rail lines.