View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Am I the only one who sees the irony in the fact that Montreal is seen as a shoo-in for MLB even though they don't have a stadium (or any commitment for one), no ownership group, a below average for Canamerica local interest in baseball, an alarmingly dismal attendance track record for the former Expos, and a whole bunch of other strikes against them.

This is from Fox news of all places and from 2 yeears ago but maybe it will answer some of your questions.
http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/w...pansion-022816

No city in North America is more prepared to welcome a Major League Baseball franchise, right now, than Montreal. If you’re surprised that I would make such a statement, then you must’ve missed the half-dozen hosannas I’ve written in support of Montreal as a baseball city.

To summarize: Montreal has well-documented passion for professional sports, including baseball. The city has drawn an average of more than 48,000 fans per game to Toronto Blue Jays exhibitions in 2014 and 2015; advance ticket sales are even more robust for this year’s series between Toronto and Boston. The Warren Cromartie-led Montreal Baseball Project and Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre have continued their passionate advocacy. Prospective owners commissioned a feasibility study for a major-league franchise in Montreal, with encouraging results. Olympic Stadium could host a major-league team for two or three seasons while a new ballpark is built.

Of note, Montreal is the largest metropolitan area in the U.S. or Canada without a Major League Baseball franchise.

Montreal is ready — for the relocated Rays or an expansion franchise. The latter option can’t materialize until the first possibility is exhausted. So, for now, the city waits — while trying to sustain momentum that can’t last forever.

1. Montreal
2. Austin
3. Vancouver (which I think has dropped down the list this year behind cities like Portland Or)
4. Mexico City