View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
I respectfully disagree with your statements (as do a huge majority of western Canadians and Ontarioans). The Conservatives have been in power for the last 6 and 1/2 years and during that time, Canada has been one of the few bright spots financially in the western world. Their policies and focus on the economy have allowed Canada to continue to have the revenues to continue to finance our world class system of social programs as well. Not to mention a low rate of personal and corporate taxation which leaves more money in the hands of people who can spend it far more wisely than the government (despite Scott Reid's rant about welfare mothers spending child support payments on beer and popcorn).

Yes, I am a Conservative supporter, but clearly many on this site are not and they make that clear in their comments. I do not like partisan politics, but there are almost always two sides to every story and it is important to hear all views. While the Liberals did a good job of balancing the budget in the mid 90's, remember that they did it by eliminating twice as many jobs as the Conservatives are now, and by offloading huge costs to the provinces, and also by stealing hundreds of millions of dollars from the public service pension fund. And don't even get me started on the financial mess that Trudeau left this country in.

Sorry for the rant, but I think that this thread needs some balance. OK, I'm ready to be slammed now as a knuckle dragging, neo-con facist
I am not a supporter of any political party, so don't have strong feelings either way but i do have a bit of feedback on your post!

While I agree that Canada is doing well relative to a lot of other developed countries, I do not agree that it is due to what the conservatives have done. The truth is that they had significantly increased spending and reduced revenue prior to the global financial meltdown hitting and were well on their way to putting the government in a defecit position before it hit. The solid state of Canada's position was handed to the conservatives when they came into power, it is much less solid that what it was. They also, as another posted stated, started to move our mortgage system to one much closer to the states piror to the meltdown. Realizing it was a mistake they reversed some of the changes and claimed they were taking action, but they never should have made the changes in the first place.

I would also argue that today's conservatives are also offloading costs to the provinces, take their crime bill for example, which will increase costs for the provinces.

I also do not like partisan politics but unfortunately the conservatives are the most partisan party we've ever had in this country and it has really brought politics to a new low in my opinion.

Finally, my comments are not intended to slam your opinion, I am just providing a different view.