View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
there has to be a balance between progress and heritage. in this case though the building was in good condition, it was not particularity unique to the area.

The Dennis, Halifax Infants, and the Commercial Cable station are all part of larger historical landscapes, are unique, and worth preserving. I personally can stand to see the odd old house or 2 lost, to save these bigger landmarks.
I agree to a point. I can see both sides of the issue for this particular house, but really feel it would be best served to somehow include the structure into the new development to preserve that part of the streetscape. But yes, you can't save every old house, especially the ones that are too far gone to ever bring back. The more significant structures, IMHO, should be saved regardless of the challenges faced to restore or repurpose them.

While there certainly seems to be a lot of derision towards the Heritage Trust, it seems that some of it has been earned but not all of it. It seems to me that the weak heritage laws and lack of foresight and appreciation for our heritage buildings by our civic leaders has every bit as much to do about it.

Perhaps the first step should be to get the laws changed, but there would likely be much resistance to that. One might imagine that there could be a lot of behind-the-scenes "activity" that could cause resistance to strong and functional laws meant to actually protect our heritage buildings.

Sometimes it makes me really lose faith that the best interests of the city are being looked out for.

Regarding the telegraph building, I don't understand why a building of that nature wouldn't be a federally protected heritage site. Telegraph service is a very significant part of our heritage and buildings such as this will never be built again. I am disgusted by this.