View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
This one is from 1933 and is captioned: "Overflowing manhole on rain-flooded city street, [Los Angeles County?]"

LAT via UCLA Digital Archives

The question mark is not needed; the Richfield tower is distinctive. Is that the top of the LAPL peeking out on the left? If so, this is probably looking south on Flower from Bunker Hill. Edit: the large building on the left side of the street in the middle distance is the California Club, so I think this actually is Flower.

A nice interesting shot looking south on Flower from about 4th Street. Everything you've said is true but I wanted to point out, as luck would have it, Anna May Wong has come up recently in the thread and her birth place, a two story house at 351 S Flower would be directly to the right of the camera here, and in 1933 it was still standing. She was born upstairs above her father's laundry and while they only lived here for a year or so, moving temporarily to Chinatown, they came back to this neighborhood in 1910 reopening his laundry over on Figueroa just south of Temple. In her youth Anna, with her sisters, drove a horse-drawn wagon picking up and delivering laundry. One of my favorite noirish people.