View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 2:42 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Salter's Gate fails in many ways:
- the ceilings are too low (direct result of view planes)
- the lobby is too bland
- the artifact display completely misses the mark ( should have been a grand theme)
- the exterior cladding is a sandstone wannabee
- the arcade on Hollis is a waste of very limited pedestrian space
- the copper dome is 46.3% too small
- however the fieldstone on the commercial building and in the landscaping on Lower Water just makes the grade
Many of these comments don't make sense;
- low ceilings? for who? Salter's Gate has 6 floors of money making space, levels 3-8. Take away one for extra ceiling clearance and the developer won't be able to get financing for the project, as the leasable space will be reduced by 16.6%. All development runs on a model of profit - if you can't make a profit, it doesn't get built. Full stop.
- which Lobby is too bland? If you are referring to the Hotel Lobby, the design is a "standard" Courtyard except for the fireplace and artifacts display. I understand it isn't for everyone, however the Marriott people know what works and they insist on their design for any hotel bearing their name.
-the artifact display was created with the input from the NS Goverment and the private Archaelogical Firm DAC Consulting. This display represents the FIRST TIME the NS Government has ever allowed a PRIVATE BUSINESS to permanently display artifacts. Please try to remember that the artifacts are located in a hotel lobby and that the hotel is not located in a museum.
- the precast cladding is supposed to mimic sandstone - the advantage of precast concrete is durability, quality control, and speed of installation. While real sandstone would be beautiful, it is unfortunately very expensive and time consuming for installation. I see a lot of people on this board complaining about precast, however no solutions put forth. If you have a building to erect, there is a financial reson for complting it as soon as possible. Glass and aluminium systems simply take longer, and include many more small bits that are assembled in the field thereby increasing the odds for a mistake that will eventually leak.
- the arcade along Hollis Street was an HRM requirement for this development. I have heard some say they don't like it, however it is well lighted at night, and wide enough to have two people walk side by side. You can please some of the people some of the time.....
- the copper dome does look too small in relation to the building, however it also relates to an interior hotel suite. It is small as a result of the viewplane restrictions.

As you may have guessed with my intimate knowledge of this project, I am involved with this and the Condo project. I enjoy reading the discussions; an outside fresh perspective often sees things that have been right in front of our own eyes. Please keep posting.