View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 6:18 PM
Honored Member

Beautiful images; I love the deep blue skies and rich colors.

My aunt lived in Peoria until 2004 and I visited there several times. The Illinois riverfront is worth exploring; on the west side of the river, to the south it's old industrial; parts of the old Avery factory that once built steam traction engines and farm machinery still stand, now occupied by Komatsu-Dresser.

To the north there are some very upscale residential areas and great overlooks on hills and bluffs high over the river. The Illinois River at Peoria is navigable, and there are locks and a dam and some large grain-handling facilities there. Sometimes at night you can see towboats working barges on the river, scanning the surface and shoreline with powerful searchlights.

I was in the River Station about 1980, when it was just an abandoned railroad station, with tagging and fallen plaster everywhere. It didn't even seem very safe to enter the building. They did an amazing job adapting it for use as a restaurant.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]