View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISH89 View Post
I'm growing impatient of this project. They should stop printing nothing about it and wait until there are excavators digging. It's been delayed since 2010, and I'm starting to doubt if they actually will get it done.
according to this article, they are going ahead with the land acquisition. That is a good sign if you ask me!

Quote:
It looks more and more like the long-talked-about container terminal at the Strait of Canso is going to be built, despite concerns it may take business away from the Port of Halifax.

While there are always doubters when it comes to megaprojects of that size, the private backers of the Maher Melford Terminal planned for Guysborough County recently gave the go-ahead to acquire the land necessary to build the first phase of the estimated $350-million terminal, logistics park and railway right-of-way.

The first phase would encompass 140 hectares for the container terminal, another 100 hectares for construction of the adjacent logistics park, and a narrow stretch of land 26 to 32 kilometres in length that will be used for a rail corridor to the terminal.

Richie Mann, vice-president of marketing at Melford International Terminal Inc. in Halifax, told me Thursday the land acquisitions are a sign the company and its backers are committed to having the trans-shipment facility in operation within the next couple of years.

continue reading here