View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2726 View Post
I've seen them from Westchester Pkwy as well as from inside planes on the tarmac and they seem quite imposing to me fwiw.

Here's a new video flythru-

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...20Non%20HD.wmv
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

As to the flythru, take note of how the secured corridors leading to customs were fashioned as bridges cutting over the gate level. This is a much better design solution than what you have, for instance, at Foster's CLK. There you take an escalator to a very long, institutional underground corridor. Here, the arrival is as dramatic as the departure.

Take note as well of the rather unique ceiling of those bridges. That's actually an art installation. Both the south and north corridors will have the same canopy. The art installation is by local, but world-renowned artist Pae White.

Further along the path that arriving passengers will take there will be a very large Welcome Wall, made up of LED screens. Various concepts have been discussed for that --- Hollywood celebrities waving "hello" to arriving passengers or the LA Symphony playing.

There's also supposed to be another art installation in the general vicinity --- a work by Ball-Nogues Studio. You may be familiar with their amazing work. They did that installation with the steel orbs for the parking lot at the Santa Monica Place. This installation will hang in one of the light wells that will join the new core with the old core and that will house vertical circulation to the immigration and customs level.

Here is a preview of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dorv8I9irIo.

One more thing about those bridges. They've become quite trendy in airport architecture. Rogers uses them all over Barajas T4 to span lightwells, created for the purpose of bringing light down to the lower levels, including baggage claim. In that context, they can become quite maddening because you are required to traverse them just to remain on the same level and despite that the arrival corridor (in sections) remains quite dark and institutional.

At LAX, their purpose is also to bring light to levels which would not normally have light, the arrivals level. But, at LAX, they become a level all onto themselves. I also like the idea that they make a vague reference to our primary mode of transportation in LA, the freeways with their overpasses. Fentress even found a way to work this motif back into the old core building. But, more on that, when design details of the T4 connector are confirmed.

Last edited by LDVArch; Jul 23, 2011 at 7:38 PM.