View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 7:31 PM

Rodin Tower/ Residences

Figure I would pop on in to give some words on that "hole" you speak of, as it comes up once in a while.

Back last year there was plans for a condo building, 12ish stories I believe, to be called the Rodin Towers/Residences at the Rodin. It went even as far as being presented to the Logan Square Neighborhood Association (LSNA), where it met a lukewarm (in relative terms) response.

It was never meant to be from the start. The plans were to build ultra-high end, near-million-dollar condos, with one condo per floor (as I recall). I'm sure if you google it you may find further information in regards to it.

The developer, whom Darrell Clarke (our Councilman) had told me is a "good guy", was required to show L&I that he was serious about his project or else they would revoke his building permit [Note - this is information I rec'd from multiple neighborhood leaders and may not be factual]. Therefore, the area was dug up, cop cars displaced, the old rustic fence along Hamilton was broken up, and maybe a dozen support beams went in over the course of a month or so.
A trailer took up the south part of the street for what I can only guess was the better part of five months, collecting trash and weeds.

As adamant as people in this neighborhood get over shadows, apparently there was fairly little pushback on the rusting trailer blocking a feeder to an already horrible traffic/pedestrian intersection. My biggest regret is that they destroyed the old rusting fence that I thought held a lot of character until they replaced eight foot portions with cheap mesh. The hole within a hole is filled with stagnant water which will no doubt be a great asset to the neighborhood once summer comes.

No, it will not be capped. I'd bank on that. And the Reading Railroad ROW (the "hole") is unimpeded due to it, as moot as that is, if you were curious. Skeller's right about the Best Western, as far as I know.

Quote:
I was by the site today and have a few questions. Is the Best Western two buildings or one, and are both coming down for this project? Also, across the street there is a hideous 'hole' filled with litter and cop cars. I noticed what looked like new pillars standing upright along the perimeter. Is this area getting 'capped'? Hopefully it does... I think this project will be stunning in that locale and I look forward to some demo...