View Single Post
Old Posted May 4, 2017, 3:58 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
These are good points, but per game and total season attendance don't always tell the whole story.

MLB teams almost all have higher total season attendance than NFL teams in the same city, but the NFL team is top dog almost everywhere.

In most cities that have NHL and NBA teams attendance is about the same for both, but in most cities the NBA team has a much higher level of interest than the NHL club.
I was referring to average game attendance, NFL teams have higher per game attendance on average than mlb teams. The bigger pull you are referring to involves the fact that NFL bums in seats and viewership is more valuable per person due to having a younger demographic for advertisers and a sizable gambling/betting culture which further fuels large TV contracts. Also, since there are so few games, more people watch other teams, further making it bigger, particularly nationally.

Anyway, this is local popularity of Toronto teams we're talking about, not about the value of this benchmarking method in all circumstances in all sports. Bums in seats each game, and over many more games is just one set of metrics among many others pertinent to this comparison which I used to backup my hypothesis. I think my conclusion is quite defensible in this case.