View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 9:16 PM
ledru rollin

I scoured the net and there isn't one photo of those bollards from the interior, only a bunch of bananas showing the street view. I'll take some myself next week, it's actually quite nice for the moms and kids to sit on and chat.

As a daily user of Atlantic/Pacific (I live on the R) it's clear why they did this. The traffic intersection where this is placed is easily the most dangerous for miles. You've got Flatbush connecting with Fourth and Atlantic at the most heavily traversed train station in Brooklyn and probably the most heavily used shopping mall in the Boro in between. Pedestrians are killed here quite often. The new rotunda (whatever you want to call it) sinks several floors underground just a few feet from the curb, off a crowded sidewalk.

Imagine one Chinese delivery truck with bad brakes swerving in the rain. Without those massive bollards tens could die and the station would be shut down for a week. I think that's why they did it. It wasn't to protect people from terrorism, it was to protect us from Jamaica Jim and his dollar van!