Thread: Atlanta Parks
View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daharris80 View Post
Its the right question to ask, IMO. I realize a lot more goes into a transit tunnel than just digging (boring) the hole but it does seem like if you can solve that piece through City owned equipment the other parts can be designed/budgeted/constructed.

The London tube has some of the smallest tunnels I'm aware of for underground transit. I did a quick search and it appears they have tunnels that are 11 ft, 8 inches in diameter. Driller Mike bores at a diameter of 12 ft 5 inches.

With current safety and fire code standards I wonder whether 12 ft 5 would be enough. You know they'd have to add a significant layer of reinforced concrete. Transportation Regs probably require an escape cat walk along the side.

Seems like it might be fairly tight. Then again maybe Elon Musk can save the day with his hyperloop.
I don't think it's an unreasonable idea at all.

Cobb recently dug a 6 mile, 27-foot diameter tunnel (24-feet after the concrete lining) for around $300 million.

If the technology keeps improving then hopefully the cost will come down even more.