View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
University City is indeed on fire. However, even with the two and half completed Cira buildings, the immediate area around 30th Station still feels like a dead zone. Schuylkill Ave might as well be a highway. The Porch is nice but 30th St Station still feels like an island surrounded on all four sides by traffic lanes, taxi stands, and parking. The Post Office building is beautiful and full of jobs but the building itself is like a fortress that kills street life along Market and Chestnut. There is a dearth of dining/retail in the area. And the elevated nature of Walnut and Chestnut offer no street level experience until 33rd. If you've ever walked to Penn's campus from Center City or 30th Street, you know what I mean.
Totally agree. Amtrak (or whomever) really F*cked up the Porch and area. It was all torn up and redone. Then they tore it up again so they could have alternating/striped side walking of sorts LOL. But then they had 4 food trucks rotating most days and it looked like it would expand to 4 trucks each day of the work week. There were some freakin' great trucks and it was a lot of fun to see what was there and what the menus were each lunch. They had a good number of events from dorky ones to beer ones.

Then they barricaded it in, built all these jackass boxes to further obstruct the space and forced in some swings which I see empty whenever passing by. All so Amtrak could charge 1 food truck and bar place for the space? What the F is that all about? Who exactly gets that money from a public and federal space? I'm pretty sure it's none of us.

Boo I say. Give us back those pizza trucks, the Surf 'n Turf truck, Spot burger, Mac Mart, and others and give that crappy blue truck death!
G.