View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Part of what has me scratching my head in the sea of this vast conspiracy aka over politicization of certain world powers putting their resources into influencing other countries, is that I am rather amazed so much has been written about Russia and not a peep about China. China is constantly hacking everything and has way more financial and human resources spread out all over the globe.

Today it is impossible to separate the politicization of elections (democrats having an embarrassing loss in the US presidential election and the correlated politicization of the dangers of Russia) from real global concerns.

But I think people can rest easy that in democracies, money and resources really can't buy elections. Meg Whitman famously spent hundreds of millions trying to be the Governor of California and lost. Trump himself spent a fraction of what Clinton did, and much of it his own money to boot, and won. You cannot get elected in a democracy unless you have a message and a platform which resonates with the electorate, and that is ultimately why all these cries of "Russia!" (or, if in the future, someone says "China!") are a bit silly. Brexit would not have won if the British did not vote for it. Same with Trump. And same with Le Pen and others.
It's almost like the intelligence community has evidence on Russia influencing the election or something....