View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 9:03 PM
Skyriser

How many people can the Convention Center conceivably fit for an athletic event? Every sport in the Games is at its own facility for about 8,000 people or so. I know the CC rooms are pretty big but I'm 99% sure the only one that's column free is the top ballroom.

2020 seems way too early--only 10 years out. That's not far enough if we have to have a transportation network built out before we could even be considered for hosting them. 2028 or 2032 seems more logical, and I'm assuming the best case scenario is one where we are awarded them, we vote on them--if it passes we get them, if it fails they go to the next city.

I'm not so sure the games can be hosted at outdoor venues here at least, at least not optimally. Athens was built on the cheap but we have climate issues to deal with and I'd assume most venues would have to be indoors.

The biggest problem with UoP stadium today is that it's just not big enough. Main Olympic venues (eg, opening/closing ceremonies) are at stadiums for 90,000 people and above.

Curious: special taxes for martial arts gear and classes for a purpose built judo venue? cycling equipment for a velodrome?

Last edited by combusean; Feb 16, 2010 at 9:32 PM.