View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 9:26 PM

Well I was just saying 2020 is the next AVAILABLE one. I don't think they would give it to us. Ten years isn't really enough time to get all of this organized.

I don't think different events have different venues. Looking at Atlanta as a model (which, it is reasonably comparable considering it's land-locked & very suburban)
Centennial Olympic Stadium (Now known as Turner Field) – Opening/Closing Ceremonies, Athletics
Georgia Dome – Basketball, Artistic Gymnastics, Handball
Georgia Tech Aquatic Center – Swimming, Diving, Synchronized Swimming, Water Polo
Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium – Baseball
Georgia World Congress Center – Fencing, Handball, Judo, Table Tennis, Weightlifting, Wrestling
Omni Coliseum – Volleyball
Panther Stadium – Hockey
Herndon Stadium – Hockey
Georgia State University Sports Arena – Badminton
Forbes Arena (Morehouse College) – Basketball
Alexander Memorial Coliseum – Boxing

Turner Field could seat 85,000 when it was built. UofPhx stadium can seat 72,200. I know 10,000 is a lot of people but I don't see that being some sort of deal-breaker. FWIW, Sun Devil Stadium seats 76,000.
The Georgia Dome is more in line with UofPhx stadium since it can host "indoor" events as well.
Fulton Cnty Stadium was a P.O.S. in 1996. We have spring training facilities better than that.
The Congress Center is MUCH bigger than the Phx Convention Center but you could house some of the events in Tucson's as well.
The Omni is comparable with USAC
and the rest of the buildings are comparable to our college stadiums/arenas.
Many of the soccer matches for the 1996 Olympics were actually held in far-away cities like DC, Miami, & Birmingham. We could just as easily spread the matches out to Home Depot Center or Pizza Hut Park.