View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 9:40 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Let's be realistic: Phoenix would have to create an Olympic Village. No way this city is willing or able to take on that kind of expense.

I'd be in favor of it if they would bulldoze down Garfield and take over the whole sq. mile and build an urban village with thousands of units to house the athletes during the games and new residents afterwards.
The Union Pacific rail yards immediately east of Downtown. I've been looking at that 200+ acre plot for a while, and I don't think it will be necessary if UP ever builds the Picacho yards.

There are larger undeveloped sites along the river that would be worthy of consideration as well. One I like is 7th Ave and Watkins to 19th south of Lower Buckeye. That is BIG, and could be the centerpiece of an extended river development (more Town Lake and less Rio Salado) should the construction of one be necessary for the Games. On the other hand, I wonder if that would affect airport operations. What cities have enormous international airports on their river?

The Olympic Village is where private investment mixed with cheap urban land as well as other incentives would really shine.