View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Unless Penn builds some sort of monorail or tram system between the main campus and the Dupont property, the Dupont property will never be properly utilized. Getting to the South campus is hell. I dare you to try one day. Go from 34 and Walnut to the Dupont property, and tell me what you think.

I doubt that some sort of transit system will ever be put in place, since that would cost a lot of money. Long term, it may be best to move a couple of the athletic fields to Dupont and develop that land.
Penn already provides on-demand transportation from the main campus to Pennovation:

Quote:
Penn Transit Services offers an on-demand shuttle service to Pennovation Works, Monday to Friday from 7:00AM to 7:00 PM to all Penn community members holding a valid PennCard.
https://www.pennovation.upenn.edu/si...%20version.pdf (see page 5)

However, the primary goal is to foster small tech start-ups--and especially those utilizing Penn-developed technologies--by providing specialized lab and co-working space. So many, if not most, of the people working there will NOT be coming from the Penn campus on a regular basis. A couple of years ago, Penn hired a prominent outside planning firm to develop a long-term master plan for this site that allows for flexibility and evolution as needs develop over the next several decades. It's not as if Penn bought the place and suddenly decided to just plop some R&D there. In fact, Penn bought this site because it previously was a light industrial R&D facility, relatively near campus but not on or directly adjoining campus, and it's location was a key factor in the decision to purchase it. Again, it's intended to be essentially a specialized R&D and high-tech industrial park that is fairly close and accessible to Penn without altering the character of the main campus, and is NOT supposed to become the full-blown bustling urban neighborhood that Drexel plans for its Innovation Neighborhood.