View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 2:21 PM
Expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingBob
Part of me says Hammonds must have research demand before committing to build this size of facility, but I still wonder:
Is there enough demand for this kind of facility? If so, where are these types of convention going now?
Good question. Are they trying to steal business from existing hotels/convention centers in Utah? Or are they targeting groups that otherwise would meet in surrounding states. I strongly disagree with the use of public subsidies to fund competion for existing local ventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingBob
Are we talking big conventions/meetings of over 1000 people?
I do know that Utah Valley has limited meeting space for large groups. You have BYU, UVSC, Thanksgiving Point or the Marriott Hotel.

I do know that demand for meeting space is tough to find in SLC, and more available and cheaper at the Provo Marriott. I've heard they plan on going after the SLC meeting business--different from convention business. Meetings are generally local people, and conventioners travel from outside the area and need rooms to stay in.
If they are targeting local groups, how will they fill their hotel at $284 per night? BTW, the lowest price I've paid in New York this year was $299/night, but I stayed at an Embassy in Chicago for about $145/night. I certainly wouldn't want to pay that much in Pleasant Grove.