View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 9:40 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
They had an empire and many of them behave like its still intact. Entitlement, arrogance, gravitas? London has all 3 but it's also self absorbed, confident, condescending, etc. I suppose those are traits that a city that was once all dominant possesses. As a former Londoner, I found some of its qualities wonderful but strongly hated the others.
People inside the Anglosphere tend to have a huge bias toward assuming the stuff that is most important or notable to them as English speakers is the same for the whole world. It is not unlike how Americans think of #1 in the world as being more or less synonymous with #1 in the US.

Just think of how much more important Canadians tend to think the UK is even though it has a smaller economy than Germany. The UK is closer to France or Italy in terms of global importance than it is to the US or China.

Is London really that much more important than Shanghai or Tokyo? I mean, sure, there's that think tank that produces lists of alpha and beta cities and says London is #1 and Beijing or Paris are one tier down. Guess where they're based? The UK.