View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
No there is no need to clash heads on the issue. I am just passionate about stadiums in general and have followed extensively the boom of the 90s & 00s. See I really don't care if Quebec or etc plunges off a cliff of debt lol I do care about my hometown as it is in a position to make smart moves for the future but also can dive into something that can hurt it down the road. The trends in entertainment and sport is shifting away from the 'multi use' facility. I see no wrong in building a world class outdoor facility over a half ass dome that wouldn't even make a village in Nebraska blush.

I guess all I am trying to do is just point out the realities of sports faculties and their true costs. This is not a cultural facility as if it were access would be guaranteed for all. Transit, Libraries, Galleries all receive subsidies for this reason. If we are building something that only benefits the Riders then build them a world class (outdoor) football facility.

I urge you to search around in Toronto news as they just finalized an ordeal where 'future' costs and opportunity of a subway were challenged with the realistic costs and demand of LRT. LRT won as the demand and costs did not justify the nearly triple cost of Subways. Building for the future means building for realities down the road with legitimate resources available now. Toronto going with the Subway plan would of bankrupted the transit agency down the road even though it was the best plan for 'ahead' and the 'future' it did not acknowledge any realities that LRT did. And just like our situation this was very much a soft referendum on the Mayor. Fiacoo won't run again since he could not get the dome started, Ford in Toronto is now essentially a lane duck 2 years into his term.
I just want to point out that the dome has nothing to do with Fiacco not running again. In fact, one of the reasons he is endorsing the guy he is is that it will basically ensure that the stadium plan stays on course.

Also comparing a redneck hick like Ford who is arguably one of the worst mayors in Toronto's history to a guy like Fiacco who is likely the best mayor in modern Regina history shows that you may be a little out of touch out there in Toronto with what is actually happening here.