View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Oh boi....where to begin....

I never said the Hoboken bound trains had any issues , I said the NEC trains can't turn around.... The Commute into the City would be a 2 seat ride which is unpopular in this region , it would also add 20-30 mins onto the journey...

The PATH Capacity is 250k , will go up to 290-350k , although no one knows the actually truth and seeing how the PA lies or skews facts i'm willing to place capacity increases higher. The PA just got sued by a few people and is under a huge amount of pressure to ADA there Harrison station and Grove Street which was rebuilt in 2007 and not ADA'd. They've promised to redo both by 2020...of course they've been saying that since 2000. The PA is under alot of pressure to clean up there act ,so i do see it finally getting done. There currently replacing the walls of the Hoboken , Newport and Exchange Place PATH , and relocating the Newport substation....along with the signal upgrades...

I never said to strangle commuting into NY , but if where going to prioritize our Cross Hudson Projects we should build something that should serve the whole Northeastern US , not a tiny slice of Urban Jersey. The MNRR is more competitive and better run then the LIRR , its on the same level as NJT....both systems need capacity increases and system expansions....and the Gateway would allow this....
Penn itself is no NJT rider's final destination. They end up on the subway or bus routes to access midtown north of the station. Doing the 7 extension provides more capacity from the NJ side that doesn't have to be routed through Penn. All Hoboken and many Penn riders already have a 2 (or even 3) seat ride.

I already said that Gateway should be built but it hasn't been designed and has no funding commitments other than preliminary engineering studies. The 2020 completion that is talked about is wildly optimistic, more like 2030 assuming the money can be gotten.