View Single Post
Old Posted May 28, 2012, 11:26 PM

The Western Star ran a 2 part article on the future of Corner Brook without the mill. I would link it up but transcontinental media's network is down altogether it seems. Anyway, a Corner Brook based economist was quoted as saying that should the mill close the city could see spinoff job losses amounting to 4000 less people working in the city than 10 years ago. It's a bit sensationalist considering the city has already lost a gypsum plant and Oceanex operations, but the bottom line is that it would hurt and there would be major job losses, obviously.

The real interesting topic discussed was the idea of becoming a college town similar to Wolfville or Antigonish, Nova Scotia. Again, they go over the idea of becoming a premiere liberal arts school. While I think that could be doable, it doesn't seem to be in Grenfell's vision to do so considering the money they have invested in science programs... this is what makes me roll my eyes. They keep talking about this liberal arts thing but keep spending on science and promoting their theatre program. It's like Memorial can't decide what to do with Grenfell. A couple of years ago there was talking of becoming independent from MUN and to do so it was decided to change the name to reflect more independence, and we received Grenfell Campus - MUN... they went the wrong way with it. Grenfell is improving but totally lacks any sense of vision or cohesive plan.