View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I have mixed feelings about 100% privatization. I am in Calgary at least once a year and have purchased beer and other alcohol at a number of locations. The Co-op liquor store near my parents house is amazing for selection, but the pricing can be frustrating. I find on average craft beers are actually more expensive than I am used to in the LCBO. If you want lower-end beer or liquor it's way cheaper though - especially if there is a sale.

Ideally I'd like a mixed model where there are Provincially run stores that have everything, but allow corner and grocery stores to sell beer and wine. Kind of like Quebec but with the LCBO level of selection over the SAQ.

But yeah, down with the beer store.
Keep in mind that the liquor sector in Alberta has not been fully privatized - the distribution is still government controlled, and liquor specific taxes were raised recently. I'd like to see the government fully privatize the industry and start allowing grocery stores and depanneurs to start selling booze as well.

However, like Calgarian said, places with great selection like Co-op or Willow Park Wine & Spirits tend to have higher prices. If you're willing to shop around you can find fantastic deals. I was in a Superstore liquor store on the weekend and they had a surprisingly good selection of import and craft beers at incredibly cheap prices. Costco Liquor lacks selection but probably has the lowest prices in Alberta - almost as low as you'd see in the States, and their Kirkland brand vodka is actually very highly regarded.