View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Often, transit plans depend on who the willing partners are. The city of Ranch Cordova is interested in a streetcar to help make their "downtown" more amenable to urban development. West Sacramento has taken the lead on streetcar from their city hall across the river to Sacramento because they too want to promote more urban growth, and understand that a linkage to downtown Sacramento (facilitating commuters and shoppers in both directions) is the best way to do that.
I understand that, but funding being set aside I feel that SMF, Roseville, Folsom, and Elk Grove are the logical endpoints of a light rail system, whether some of the communities want it or not. West Sac I wonder if it should be light rail to Davis with a couple stops in West Sac or a streetcar.

And while I'd like to see a denser Rancho Cordova, wouldn't a streetcar along Watt or Sunrise make more sense (outside of a central city route)?

Looks like the cost of a Rancho streetcar was estimated at about $110 million, which is cheaper than the recent blue line extension to CRC that cost $270 mil.

I guess I'm saying I'd like to see light rail before streetcars, and if streetcars then central city first. If Rancho wants to tax themselves for a streetcar more power to em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
I would assume you live in the suburbs.
Nah, I live car-light in an Oakland neighborhood with good BART access. I was raised mostly in Elk Grove as it was going through growing pains (and share joeg1985's hopes for a walkable EG Bvld) so there might be some suburban bias hidden inside me.