View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 6:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
I'm not fully understanding what all of those notches or panels are on the dark portions of the facade facing the avenues (I'm not talking about the balconies facing Central Park). To me it looks like color variations similar to those on One57's sides. Someone mentioned something about LED lights. I don't know.

-
It would also cause severe traffic problems. It's one thing to pedestrianize part of Times Square, but to go much further would be shoving it down people's throats. I know urban planners (particularly the more academic kind) love bicycles, foot traffic, and public transportation, but there will always be a sizable portion of the public who want to live in the suburbs and drive in to the city, traffic be damned. Personally, I love driving all around the city so long as it's nights or weekends.
Most european cities have pedestrianized their cores and it is pleasant to enjoy them. I think the average person would enjoy it in NY if they had more car-free areas and I doubt most people would consider it "shoving it down their throats" once they have experienced it. Face it, people are resistant to change and they fear it.. however, they often don't know what they are missing. Having a few more pedestrian zones is not going to prevent the car people from accessing the city or destroy the big NY city feel, come on now! Large European and some Asian cities are very bustling and they strike a good balance between car and pedestrian. NY is need to be a bit more progressive and open to new ideas IMO. I suppose the die hard natives might resist change, but without change, NY will be eclipsed by more innovative cities in the future..

P

Last edited by aquablue; Dec 17, 2012 at 6:39 AM.