View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 6:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
A technicality, but...

That McDonalds was the first in Eastern Canada.

I can think of a few other test market products/services that have been in London:

- Tim Hortons Iced Cappuccinos - first available in London in the summer of 1998, launched nationally in 1999
- Yellow Pages CD-ROMs - available in London in late 1996, before the widespread adoption of the Internet and online phone listings
- Viagara's Canadian introduction was apparently in London
Yeah, I lived in Richmond, BC (home of the first McRotten's in Canada). Incidentally, I met George Cohon several times (original franchisee of the London outlet; later President of McD's Canada), in my days as a mgr at Mickey D's.

Quote:
The company was founded by Chicago-born George Cohon. The first store opened in 1968 as the Western Canadian franchisee and operated with the U.S. operations. Cohon was the Eastern Canadian franchise and opened his store in 1968. In 1971, Cohon merged the two operations to one national operation. Cohon was responsible for developing the eastern Canadian franchises. The first McDonald's restaurant in Canada was opened in 1967 in Richmond, British Columbia by western franchise owners. It was also the first McDonald's restaurant outside of the United States. In 2007, McDonald's Canada had 1,400 stores (including Wal-Mart Canada locations) in Canada, and more than 77,000 Canadian employees.
Wikipedia

Quote:
1967 The first McDonald's restaurant outside the United States opened in Richmond, British Columbia.

1968 As Franchisee for Eastern Canada, George A. Cohon opened the first McDonald's in London, Ontario.

1970 McDonald's 50th Canadian restaurant opened in Dieppe, New Brunswick.

1971 McDonald's operations in Eastern and Western Canada were amalgamated and George A. Cohon was named President and Chief Executive Officer, McDonald's Restaurants of Canada Limited.
McDonalds.ca