View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 5:21 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

Are you ready for another brewery project!

Video Link

First Baptist Church Restoration:

Demolishing the back-half of the church to downsize:

Credit: Fam Brownlee

Credit: winstonwatchman

Credit: piedmonttriadliving

View from the skyscraper across the street on Thursday (9/20):

Hoots Brewing Company - Downtown:
More brewery projects! Hoots Brewing Company is looking at a location at Trade and Seventh streets. This is located in downtown's Arts District, near the new AFAS Center for the Arts and Mission Pizza Napoletana.

500 West Fifth:

Dinner in a dumpster, with a very nice view... Keep Winston-Salem Weird & Nerdy:

Credit: twin_city_quarter

Grinding Working on the expanded main entrance:

Credit: danielparra3

Credit: anndavisrowe

Encompass Health Winston-Salem Hospital:
This project will open on October 8, with 143 new employees and 68 beds. The official ribbon cutting is today, though.

Hotel Indigo:
Kitchen equipment has arrived. They still haven't installed the windows on the ground floor. They have plastic over the ground floor window openings. However, they appear to be very close to that step. I can confirm the stair tower has topped-out and work has started on the underground parking.

Credit: fourthandtrade

A look inside at the soffit (hiding HVAC duct-work) and main entrance:

Stair tower topped-out:

Credit: vincerabil

Merschel Plaza Park:

Work on the underground parking deck:

Credit: adam_r_houston

New Jobs - Piedmont Hoist & Crane:
Piedmont Hoist & Crane will move their headquarters and crane manufacturing operations to Winston-Salem. I love cranes, so this is an exciting project! This is a two phase project. Phase I addresses their immediate need to add more crane manufacturing space and Phase II will add the office space for their headquarters and additional manufacturing space for cranes, allowing the entire company to move into this one building. They have acquired the site and will own and construct their own building! Yes, they are also a general contracting company! Smith Architecture will design the building, with construction starting in November and the first phase opening in March 2019. No incentives are involved. This company designs and builds massive cranes for the U.S. Navy, Boeing, and many more. It's a great headquarters to have in Winston-Salem and it will be awesome to have cranes made in this city!

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:

A tower crane was taken down at this site:

Credit: daniel_in_nc

Alternative Transportation:

Passageway Park: Built!
Do you know if this project is completed? It appears to be completed? I see the wayfinding is now in place and the park is hosting artsy events, like puppet shows, art pop-ups, and live music. This is a beautiful renovation of a Brutalist concrete downtown alley from nearly 50 years ago. Originally, this alley connected other streets to Winston-Salem's former downtown pedestrian mall and an enclosed ice skating rink. The pedestrian mall was demolished decades ago and this alley, designed as a shortcut to the pedestrian mall, is all that remains of it. It's great to see it used for events.

Credit: penny.converse

Credit: shirelleve

Credit: heyblakeney

Credit: heyblakeney

Credit: wherehouse_art_hotel

Random Photographs:

An Art Deco building we rarely see on the forums, on Fifth Street:

Credit: anndavisrowe

Historic rowhouses on Fourth Street:

Credit: winstonwatchman