View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 1:33 AM

Quote:
It's the CHP HQ going out where their training facility is currently? That's east of I-8 I 0 and no where near the downtown riverfront.
Has that been in the paper? I haven't read that. I was under the impression that there were a number of sites up for consideration and the State is evaluating them.

Quote:
The very fact that there was no precedent for highrise living anywhere in Sacramento is what made it seem that much more viable.
I'm not sure I follow that logic. The simple fact that something doesn't exist would lead most people to believe that there is a good reason for it. It takes the visionary to make the leap of faith. When they do and it works out, there is often a pile of money to be made as they now have the entire market to themselves and can charge essentially whatever they want. But a bank or lending institution will certainly disagree. They want to see successful examples of whatever is being proposed and if one doesn't exist, they get nervous.

Quote:
Sacramento has a few older midrise apartments (10-15 floors) so it's not that big a jump in scale.
Having worked on high rise buildings the last 4-5 years, that just simply is not the case. There is a huge difference between 150' and anything over 250'. Not just from the perception of the size of the building, but also the techincal requirements of building tall. If the design team hasn't done this before (architect, builder, and developer), there will be A LOT of challenges. It is different in a whole host of ways--plumbing, mechanical, structural loads, everything. Its simply not as easy as adding floors. Codes are cumbersome at that height and any inefficiency in the plan is now multiplied by such huge factors that it quickly becomes a financial disaster. In fact, that is why most high rise buildings are "boring" and stack so neatly all the way up.