View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
I dunno. I was hoping for something a little more geodesic. I also worry about how that's going to look after a few Chicago winters. Looks very Tatooine, so I guess in that regard, it's contextually appropriate. There's this one scene in Battlestar where Gaeta is about to be executed for mutiny, and talks about how he wanted to be an architect and his big idea was restaurants shaped like the food served within. That scene reminds me of this in the sense that it screams "hey, there is Star Wars stuff inside me".

Eh, the Star Wars universe is so rich and fleshed out that it'd probably be impossible not to find some building on some planet that happens to look like whatever the architect were to come up with. I mean, look at Lakeside Center. It's black as night, aggressively rectilinear, its structure is totally exposed, it's powerful, imposing--in short, it couldn't be more different than MAD's design. Yet when news broke that Lucas was considering Chicago, a lot of people pointed to it as a perfect candidate for reuse because of the way it evokes Darth Vader and the Death Star. People are going to read Star Wars into the design regardless of the architect's intent (and I really don't think that their intent is to pigeonhole it as a Star Wars museum).

On the other hand...