View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Initial Proscenium plans unveiled
Children's theater and performing arts high school among projects

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_9643572

While I would like to see sandy become more urban. I just think the 30 story tower in Sandy could effect the demand for Class A in SLC a little bit. Obvioulsy DT SLC is still the core and always will be, but it could delay another new tower in SLC. I don't mind the idea of a childrens theater and the HS.

Then of course there is the large theater issue, and if you don't know how I feel about that then you must be new to the thread. Has anyone heard any additional information regarding the progress of the new theater in DT SLC.
Future Mayor, One of the things that I appreciate about the design of these towers is that they represent a step outside of the typical box that we have seen so much of in the past in the region. Perhaps it will spur on a healthy competitiveness in our towers downtown. Also, I hope that the phase-in of all three towers will not be too far apart from each other. One tower alone will look pretty lonely in that location.

BTS Investments

Initial Proscenium plans unveiled - Children's theater and performing arts high school among projects

SANDY - Not just a Broadway-style theater could sprout here. A developer also plans to plop a children's theater, performing arts high school, an amphitheater and art galleries next to Interstate 15 and 10000 South in Sandy.
On Thursday, Orem-based Proscenium Development Inc. shared with the Planning Commission its initial plans for the first phase of The Proscenium, which is slated to open by fall 2011 with two other phases to follow in 2013 and 2015.
The colossal, $560 million mixed-use development features three, 30-story towers - only one of which would debut with phase one - that will require a code amendment to exceed Sandy's cap on building height at 140 feet, or about 10 stories.
On July 1, Sandy's City Council is scheduled to consider whether to do away with the height limit entirely in the suburb's central business district. The council meets at 7 p.m. at City Hall, 10000 S. Centennial Parkway.
At least one resident opposes the plan to bring skyscrapers to Sandy.
"It's a blight on the environment," Kim Lane told the Planning Commission. "I did not like it when we did the Jordan Commons because it blocks the view of our scenic, beautiful mountains."
Proscenium architect Russell Platt countered, saying the project's density has environmental benefits by reducing "urban sprawl" and the driving and pollution that accompanies it.
The developer has replaced plans for 120 condos in the first tower with a 250-room hotel because of a slump in the Salt Lake Valley condo market. The building would still contain 36 condos on the top floors, along with office space on the lower floors and a spa in the center. A 2,400- to 2,800-seat Broadway-style playhouse would be adjacent.
The Planning Commission plans to have a series of discussions on the project before considering preliminary approval of the site plan.