View Single Post
Old Posted May 22, 2005, 6:52 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Just for the record, Northern Liberties is not a dangerous part of town. The brick muggings from over a year ago were by a group of teenagers from another neighborhood that came into Northern Liberties and were mugging people. They were caught and prosecuted.

The beatings by Irish/Polish people? I haven’t' heard about that.

My personal perception after living here for 5 years is that Northern Liberties is a great place to live, and I feel safe walking the streets of this neighborhood day in and day out.

As far as the gated community going up on the waterfront, I understand every point you made. It's hard to argue with what you are saying. But I don't this project as cutting the waterfront off from people. At least not at this time, at that location. If that was the case, look at the condos around LaVeranda, or Dock St. They aren't public places. You can walk by the front of them though to get to the public places on each side.
Now if they developed Penn's landing as a gated community, or if they totally cut off areas around Penn's landing that made it difficult for public access, I would be outraged. I just don't see this project doing either of those.

Now the domino effect is a different story, and that should be carefully considered.

Last edited by Philly-Drew; May 22, 2005 at 7:08 PM.