View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 7:11 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuyoPiyo View Post
I think not.. I am starting to wondering what the downtown Vancouver would be like when the 90,000 square feets library was brought to downtown. Now that will bring more smarter educated people going to downtown Vancouver for the library.

True, the housing market right now are terrible, but that have nothing to do with the downtown redevelopment.

Are you sure the new library with educated people wandering around plus those nice pricy condo towers where the kinda richy people will live and business people would go to that 7 stories office building, the Riverwest Project, that will bring to downtown Vancouver will also bring the criminals? I think not.

I'd rather to be speechless on this one because that's your opinion.

Oh really..
You keep implying that removing the seedy element and artificially creating a highly educated upper middle-class population will make Vancouver boom-- but that goes against the grain of urban history. Unless Vancouver lives in a symbiotic way off of Portland for the rest of its existence, taking out all the refinement of a well-rounded and character-filled city makes it just another sprawled suburb.

Capitol Hill has its crime (and relatively speaking, it's not much) because it hasn't lost its character, and that same character is what drives up rent and keeps people there for years. Crime happens from time to time, it's just endemic to a vibrant downtown or urban area.

As far as what Vancouver's doing, I am still not convinced that it will be any kind of urban center in the future, even with these "developments" people keep touting, especially since they effectively eradicate and rebuild, instead of refining and repairing what was there before.

And when city officials are saying "no offense, but old people are useless", you know there has to be something wrong with this approach.

Finally, as little towns with Transit Centers in downtown go, Vancouver had a pretty good one. But I don't expect Vancouver to make intelligent decisions in transit anymore, I really don't. First this, then the bio-diesel idiocy; it's really not going well for you guys.