View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
I don't think it sucks, its unique looking and provides lots of shade- what else is a shade structure supposed to do? Cure cancer?

I'm not sure who owns that land, I know the market is looking for a permanent home, whether that be their current lot or somewhere else near by. I hope they keep their current location, just north of downtown proper and south of the neighborhoods, its a nice spot.

They recently received a large sum of money from an Indian tribe to build a shade structure, so they will be getting some sort of shade structure soon.

The market is in such a sad location, IMO. Check that, the location (between downtown and the neighborhood) is cool, but the market itself sucks. It's a nice organic type of activity pumping a little life into downtown, but being held in a crummy old parking lot sucks. They should move it somewhere else, like back in the alleys somewhere, where the merchants backs are up against the walls, and the alley is like a wide sidewalk. I'm imagining back alley/back neighborhood persian markets or asian markets where the "shops" line the narrow streets/alleys. Something about tents in a parking lot pisses me off and is unattractive, much like the parking lot "parties" the Mexican restaurants and bars put on for Cinco de Mayo, or the Irish bars put on for St. Patrick's Day. They're about as unauthentic as you can get, which is the feeling I get at the DT Phoenix public market.