View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 11:25 PM

AUSTRALIA and NEW ZEALAND - A 6000km road trip

This trip took place already long time ago, but it was quite a trop and I only recently got to edit many of these photos, so why not share them here as well. Back in 2009 we traveled Australia and New Zealand for four amazing weeks and got to see some incredible places. Here we go.

The trip got started when we found some ridiculously cheap flights from London to Sydney onboard the then-five star Malaysian Airlines. Nice service onboard and I would definitely fly again (despite the incidents last year).

Traveling for over 30 hours straight takes a toll on one, but arriving in Sydney we were greeted with excellent spring weather. First thing we headed to check out The Rocks, which is an active bar area next to Sydney Harbour.

It seems that Oktoberfest takes place everywhere in the world.

First thing one has to check out is of course the world-famous Sydney Opera House.

I love this angle.

Downtown Sydney skyscrapers.

The ferry/railway terminal in the area is known as Circular Quay. It is a very busy terminal with connections to many places all around the city.

Sydney Harbour Bridge is another famous landmark in the area. This is where the huge NYE fireworks take place every year!

You can climb on top the bridge. Not for people with vertigo!

Being a tourist area, there are many performers around Circular Quay.

Some good burgers in a nearby pub.

Next day we explored the inner Downtown.

Next to Downtown is also the lively area of Darling Harbour. Not visible in these photos, this is where several new tallest skyscrapers in the city are currently going up.

Darling Harbour has the world's largest IMAX screen. We watched an IMAX document there, but I was still so jetlagged that I don't remember anything about it. I suppose the screen was huge, but can't exactly remember.

Sunset in Darling Harbour.

There was a monorail running between Downtown and Darling Harbour back in 2009, but I think it is defuct nowadays?

Sydney Tower is the tallest structure in town.

Downtown gets quiet after dark, but is still a safe place to roam.

Night view from our hotel room.

And that was days one and two. Much more to come in the future.

Last edited by Klazu; Feb 2, 2016 at 4:43 AM.