View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyFive
As for the comment about it becoming expendable, I was wondering the same thing about some other developments. I wonder if this city really gets off its feet in 20 years if they dont start plowing over some of todays brand new developments for bigger and better stuff.
Well, if that's the case, then there is 2 options:
1) Destroy all the new parking garages

2) Destroy the historic residential projects

Other than that, there is no new building in Detroit (of significance anyway).

You have a valid beef with One Kennedy Square, but that's what happens when you try to put up a building in record time with no real committment from tenants. Not to mention that its local architects and developers whose names are on it. In other words, suburban-minded folk. Local Detroit planners, designers, architects, engineers, developers (with few exceptions) know nothing other than the suburban way and it's been that way for a very long time. It's too bad too because, as evidenced by the old city, we use to perfect urbanism.

That's why, in my opinion, it is ever so important at this stage in the game to get as much out of state influence as we can. Brush Park new homes...GREAT, but enough cookie cutter townhouses already...inspired by Novi developer Crosswinds.