View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 4:11 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO_0121 View Post
This tower is beautiful, the fact that its black makes it unique. When i was up there it was amazing. I have heard of them wanting to make this building green, but I have never heard of them wanting to change the facade. That would be close to (very) impossible. It would be better to bring down the tower, and build it again. The sears tower will always be black, I seriously dont know how you came up with the statement of making the Sear Tower not Black.

How could you change the facade on such a tall tower, I know its possible, but do you know the kind of money needed to do this, not happening, not this year, not next year, but maybe in 50-80 years, when it could* be necessary.
Well, D. Trump did that to the tallest building in Manhattan north of the Empire State Building at Columbus Circle (I forget, but I guess it was called the Gulf-Western, right on the Central Park, by the USS Maine memorial). The building was about two-thirds as high as Sears is today. It too had this cheapish, black glass facade. Well, Trump had it totally stripped down, turned the building into a super luxury apartment building, and gave it a real ritzy façade of burnt dark brown glass facade without those cheap metal panes. The building looks superb now. It is accross the street from the new Time Warner twin towers, and very nicely competes with them for elegance its newly-found nice façade.

The Sears, I am sure, would benefit from the same. Its façade needs to be stripped down to the bone, those metal panes thrown away, and the building should get a "Trump" treatment for elegance. Smith & Gill, I am certain, will do justice to this otherwise, magnificient structure (unfortunately, cladded by a cheep robe!!

Last edited by TallMark; Jan 12, 2009 at 5:17 AM.