View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 1:30 AM

I would agree with your sentiment, but with a few issues:

1) I agree with road pricing and other things like vehicle levies, but that'd be even a tough political sell. (see: ujjal dosanjh and christy clark).

2) an elevated north/south expressway? Let's not think of the blowback of trying to convince people of a new elevated expressway in vancouver. knight st at mid day weekdays is not that congested in my experience, except at the bridge, which road-pricing/tolls should resolve.

if anything, IMO the volume of downtown commerical traffic has been greatly reduced in part to traffic management at the port of vancouver. even though container traffic has greatly increased in the past 20 years, people haven't seen a difference as most of the flow is shunted off at the port road at mcGill. further improvements there, such as the stewart street overpass will greatly improve effeciancies with little impacts to local residents. you'd have a stronger argument to put expressways thru chinatown to downtown if the trailer ferry to the island still loaded up at coal harbour, but it doesn't now.