View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 6:02 PM

DTLA denizen,
I would never assume that a website to watch construction would ever take away from the importance of your contributions. Do do so would be sheer folly. I also think that you truly enjoy your connection to the city, and no website would dare rob you of that joy.
I love the shot of what was once the Pantages theatre, although the building looks to be in need of some TLC (like a good bath). I have books with vintage photos showing throngs of pedestrians at that intersection in the early war years. If fact, the marquee read that Rhapsody in Blue was showing. I sometimes wonder how interesting it would have been to live in the city in that era, I have a feeling that it was an incredibly growing and dynamic place. On a side note I'd like to comment on the new 888 south Hope tower by RTKL. Based upon the renderings, I feel it's okay--not great, but not bad. I hope that CIM, which usually does good work, sees the need to rework some features with the architects. The original done by Kanner Architects was quite stunning, truly a hard act to follow. Since I think that the firm is still functioning after the untimely death of its founder Stephen Kanner, I don't understand why CIM would not use the original design and just truncate the tower from 40 stories to 33. Can you explain why.