View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 12:16 PM
Architect Curmudgeon

Wishing to post an update of sorts to this.

Last night I discovered something which went beyond my expectations. While looking at Modern SF on Google Earth I, quite by accident, discovered a feature called 'historical view'. The screen seemed to go Black and White and I was not sure quite what I was looking at until I noticed a date in the lower corner. It read '1936'

I did a double take and began to zoom in on what turned out to be a patchwork of hundreds of photos that, sure enough, did seem to be from the 1930's time period.

More to my surprise, many of the photos, especially of downtown SF, were not just clear, but 'Sharp' as if I were looking at modern high def photos.

What thrilled me even more was the realization that many historical buildings that I know to still be around today looked "new". Indeed if you look at some of the most grand neo classical and gothic works of SF, they have a grunged weathered look to them, even in the most high quality photos. But these, many looked almost "fake" as the buildings seemed so clean, it was a true and delightful shock.

At this point I would invite others to see what I have seen, if only to let me know I did not hallucinate the whole thing and these images are in fact genuine.
"God damn modern architect's and their Brtualism, and 'realism' and damn concrete boxes. Why I remember back when buildings had STYLE back when you would have real ARTISTS working away both inside and out!
"Um, aren't you like barely 30?"
"Thats not the point you damn whipper snapper!"