View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Vegas on the weekends or Friday night in terms of foot traffic is very busy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
^^ 53,000,000 people per year (over 153,000 per day) pass through Yonge-Dundas Square in Toronto. It's really taking off now as major international retailers are setting up shop in the area.
Having been to all 3 recently (Times Square, Las Vegas, Yonge-Dundas Square in Toronto) I think I can speak to this. Obviously Times Square is the busiest and a sight to behold right at its epicentre, once you leave the square it drops off quick though. People hang out just in the square, pedestrians nearby are either walking to or leaving the square. Las Vegas Strip as a whole is extremely busy and interesting. Gets points for lenghthiness. Lacks a "in the middle of it all" spot. Yonge-Dundas is a hybrid of the two. People both hang out in the square, not near as busy Times Square, and the whole experience is felt up and down Yonge St similar to the Vegas strip albeit not as busy (or interesting) again. Jack of all trades master of none.

Short summary of my experience would be...

Times Square - at the heart of it the most overwhelming, wowing, whatever word you want to use. Quick drop off, more of a hang out than a walk.

Las Vegas Strip - extremely busy and interesting walk for quite a distance. Lacks a "in the middle of it all" spot.

Dundas Square, Yonge St. strip - nice combination of a long walkable strip and a square, middle of it all hang out. Square isn't nearly as good as Times, strip isn't nearly as good as Vegas.

Obviously Yonge/Dundas isn't as famous. For those who don't know what it even looks like...

dundas square by sole_ron, on Flickr

Dundas Square / Yonge Street by rthakrar, on Flickr

Yonge Street HDR by Jamie Hedworth, on Flickr

Last edited by TownGuy; Jan 31, 2015 at 4:30 PM.